Perfect wine doesn’t have a single definition. There will never be a machine that can turn out ‘perfect’ wines. There are too many variables and it is the uniqueness of each artful release that brings forth a worthy story rather than a homogenous, measurable string of proper qualities.
That being said, it is possible to hedge bets toward fantastic releases. It requires attention to a number of variables:
- Buy the best grapes available from the areas most skilled grape growers (a step that requires longstanding relationships as well)
- Buy the most technologically advanced equipment and finest traditional barrels
- Enlist the help of the finest and most experienced oenologists, practiced using the grapes found in your final release
Founder Allen Shoup has earned an influential placement at the pinnacle of Washington’s wine industry. He began with humble beginnings at Gallo in California and rose through vast achievement to CEO of Stimson Lane (owner of Chateau Ste. Michelle & Columbia Crest), Washington’s largest wine company. With his broad assets of professional relationships, prime properties and ample finances, he’s been able to pair Washington’s best grapes with the world’s finest talent to create tremendously well-made expressions of our Northwest’s best.
Through these efforts come the 2006 rendition of Saggi, the Long Shadows “Super Tuscan” style blend of Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah. Shoup has invited the talents of the Tuscan winemaking father and son team of Ambrogio and Giovanni Folonari to craft the wine using grapes grown in the Horse Heaven Hills and Alder Ridge vineyards.
The added bonus of this wine is an additional year of age in the bottle. The 2007 has been released, but the silky smoothness of the 2006 is showing through with increasing balance and contemplative layers.
Dark cherry aromas and flavors combine with a hint of nutmeg in this Super Tuscan style blend. An elegant entry in the front of the mouth reveals refined tannins with focused concentration, enhanced by the wine’s silky mouth feel and lengthy finish.
This wine is regularly sold for $36.99, but is available to wine club members for only $31.99!
- Visit the Long Shadows Vintners website
- Read a few more specifics about Super Tuscan wines
- Check out a clickable map of the castles of Tuscany
- Learn about Horse Heaven Hills, one of Washington’s newest appellations
- Take your pick of Pasta Recipes from the Italian Chef.com
- Here’s a video on how to make Moroccan Chicken Casserole
- Jamie Oliver can help with fantastic Pizza Recipes
Have you tasted this wine? When you’ve had a chance to enjoy this wine, please return to this blog and leave your comments! Others will appreciate your input, unique viewpoint, and recommendations.